Wednesday 26 February 2014

Force Z 2014 #2… A different tact…





After, my somewhat ‘successful’ campaign at the first Force Z, I’ve decided to do it all again. But this time I’ll be taking a much more mobile army. Sticking to my Imperial Guard codex I intend to take a plethora of vehicles! And pack those sardine cans full of juicy Vet squads.

So what’s Force Z I hear you ask? 5 games over 9 hours at 750pts! That’s what it boils down to. There’s fun, laughter and a few tears by the end of the day and the backs of your calves hurt like hell! For a complete overview of the missions see my previous post on Force Z 2014 #1 here. But most of all its exciting! Around 26 players turned up for the first Force Z and I’m hoping more will turn up for the second, I know I’ve locked in my dates for the rest of the year with a VIP Pack.

What am I thinking of taking? I’m still in the test phase but I have a rough idea of the ‘core’ of my list:

- Lord Commissar - meaty 6” leadership bubble & added stubborn
- 2x Veteran Squad with a Veteran Weapons Team (lascannon). Inside Chimeras – These are
my scoring units.
- Devil Dog - this is the melta small blast variety of the Hellhound
- Leman Russ Executioner - colloquially known as the Plasma-cutioner

This leaves me with 80 points to play with and I’m not sure what options I should go for to maximise my winning potential. The few things I’ve thought about are; out flanking Penal Legion for late game objective scoring, Multi Melta on the Devil dog, out flanking Scout Sentinel with multilaser & hunter killer for a little mid game (hopefully) troop killing or even a Command Squad with Lascannon. There is a possibility of swopping out the Lascannon Weapons Teams for Autocannon Teams for a few more points if needed. There is always the option of packing a few special weapons into the Vets to give them a little more punch. The options with Guard are endless.

I’ve had a win with the following list against Adam’s Tau, but that was more tactics than firepower.

- Lord Commissar: melta bombs.
- 2x Veteran Squad: Veteran Weapons Team (autocannon). Inside Chimeras
- Devil Dog: multi-melta.
- 2 Scout Sentinels: 2× autocannon
- Leman Russ Executioner

And I might even just take this list to Force Z #2 if push comes to shove.

All these options could ad ‘something’ but what would add the most of what I need. Play testing will be needed to work all this out but if anyone has an opinion please help me out and leave comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment